5th Annual Signature Ride through Brampton and Caledon #bikethecreek
Bike the Creek is a FREE event aimed at encouraging people of all ages to discover the joys of cycling. Join hundreds of cyclists in our fun family ride through the spectacular valleys, trails and historic landmarks, urban and rural settings of Brampton and Caledon.
What’s new for our 2018 routes?
Brampton and Caledon have some amazing new cycling infrastructure investments to celebrate, so we have selected “Bicycle Friendly Connections” as our 2018 theme!
- New City Loop route showcasing Brampton’s Active Transportation Master Plan (City Loop Ride)
- New Brampton Franceschini bridge over #410 -Brampton will celebrate Official Opening at 10:45 (Nature, City Loop Rides)
- New bike lane and covered bike parking at Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness (City Loop Ride)
- New Kennedy Valley Trail, extension of Etobicoke Creek Trail (City Loop Ride)
- Newly signed and paved wide-shoulder Town of Caledon bike route (Town Ride)
- New Town of Caledon bike route along Olde Baseline Road through the Cheltenham Badlands (Town Ride)
- New Caledon bridge connecting Southfields & Valleywood Villages -Caldon & TRCA will celebrate Official Opening at 11:00 (Town Ride) (Nature Ride will cross bridge before Official Opening)
- New Etobicoke Creek Trail section into John Clarkson Park in Caledon (Nature, Town Rides)
- New trail into Heart Lake Conservation Area from Mayfield Road (Family, Nature, City Loop Rides)
- New wayfinding signage along Etobicoke Creek Trail (all Rides)
- Newly visited for 2018 are: upper portion of Fletcher’s Creek Trail (Town Ride), Wanless Drive multiuse path (Town Ride), and Rutherford Road bike lane (Nature Ride)
Our other Theme for 2018 is Aboriginal Heritage. Canada’s National Aboriginal Day is Jun 21st coinciding with the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. We will be celebrating Indigenous culture with 3 routes (Family, Nature and City Loop) travelling through Toronto and Region Conservation Authority‘s Heart Lake Conservation Area, featuring an Indigenous booth at the Medicine Wheel Garden. Elders will greet cyclists as they ride by, and hold a ceremony at 10:00.
REGISTER by Jun 15th to ensure your free lunch, complements of Region of Peel Walk+Roll. Registration for this event is free. If you wish, a voluntary donation to the Living City Foundation can be made. This is appreciated and not required for registration.
Bike the Creek Event Timeline June 23 2018
Bike the Creek 2018 Routes:
Select your ride according to your interest and ability. All lengths are approximate. Length of time varies according to your ability, type of bike and amount of time spent at each pavilion. Registration open from 7:30. Google Map of the 4 Routes
- 12km Bike the Creek Family Ride – check-in 9:15, staggered start 10:00 (allow 1.5 – 2 hrs) Strava map link
- Trail surface approx: 70% paved multi-use paths (asphalt & hardpack dirt), 20% secondary roads, 10% packed gravel
- 26km Bike the Creek Nature Ride – check-in 8:00, staggered start 9:00 (allow 2.5 – 3 hrs) Strava map link
- Heart Lake Conservation Area Medicine Wheel Indigenous Ceremony 10:00
- Official opening Brampton Franceschini Bridge 10:45
- Trail surface approximately: 50% paved multi-use paths (asphalt & hardpack dirt), 25% packed gravel, 25% secondary roads (optional technical ride along section of Esker Lake Trail where wider textured tires recommended)
- 40km Bike the Creek City Loop Ride – check-in 8:00, staggered start 9:00 (allow 2.75-3.5 hrs) Strava map link
- Official opening Brampton Franceschini Bridge 10:45
- Trail surface: 75% paved multi-use paths (asphalt & hardpack dirt), 20% secondary roads, 5% packed gravel
- 44km Bike the Creek Town Ride – check-in 7:30, staggered start 8:30 (allow 3-4 hrs) Strava map link
- Official opening Caledon Southfields to Valleywood Villages trail connection 11:00
- Trail surface: 70% secondary roads, 25% paved multi-use paths (asphalt & hardpacked dirt), 5% packed gravel
- Bike Rodeo for kids – 9:00am-12:00pm – presented by Brampton Cycling Advisory Committee (BCAC) CAN-BIKE Instructors
Bike the Creek 2018 Route Descriptions V5 FREE REGISTRATION CLICK HERE
Rides begin at Jim Archdekin Recreation Centre, 292 Conestoga Drive, Brampton. Parking is available in the lot. Additional parking at Heart Lake Secondary School and Conestoga Public School to the south of the recreation centre. If these lots are full you may park in designated parking zones on the east or west side of Conestoga Dr. If you live close by, simply cycle to the event!
Meet old and new friends. Check in at Registration indoors, to get your Bike the Creek handle bar tag, passport and map and purchase a T-shirt, if you wish. Visit our sponsor booths to see what’s new. It’s not a race! Pick up passport stamp at each pavilion for a chance to win valuable prizes. Return to Jim Archdekin for final stamp at Peel Waste pavilion. Visit registration again to turn in your passport stamps for prize tickets. Enjoy lunch complements of Region of Peel Walk+Roll. Volunteers at Peel Waste pavilion will help you separate your lunch waste for proper recycling.
This is a ZERO WASTE event! Please bring your own refillable water bottles! Let’s help Brampton to Grow Green
A friendly reminder that Riders agree to ride at their own risk and are requested to sign the 2018 BIKE THE CREEK WAIVER FORM before participating. Helmet use with fastened chin strap is strongly encouraged, and is mandatory for those under 18. Parents have a duty to ensure helmet use for children under 16. Riders are photographed for promotional purposes. Riders who register before June 15th are guaranteed free lunch, complements of our Title Sponsor, Region of Peel. Routes are carefully planned and may be subject to change should situations arise. Do pay attention to 2018 Bike the Creek Rider Briefing instructions, course volunteers and route signage. All Route Rides are officially over at 1:30pm. REGISTER HERE
You are encouraged to have your bicycle professionally tuned-up so you can ride worry-free. Visit our sponsors The Cyclepath Brampton, Caledon Hills Cycling or call Vélofix Caledon. Should you need some assistance before the start of the event, minor bike repairs will be available at registration, complements of our sponsor Vélofix Caledon. Our mechanics were very busy last year, so plan ahead! Should you have a break down on the route, you can contact Vélofix Caledon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-855-835-6349.
If you need to rent a bike, check out our Sponsor, Caledon Hills Cycling, for their selection of hybrid bikes! Don’t be left out because you don’t have wheels!
Bring your refillable water bottles and stay hydrated! Here are heating tips supplied by Brampton Fire and Emergency Services: Bike the Creek 2018 Heat Illness Information