Question/Comment from the Region:
There wasn’t enough public consultation for the parking lot.
Peel, OHT, and Bruce Trail had many dialogues with members of the public, neighbouring property owners and the appellant to address concerns. There have been at least nine in-person organized meetings, most over the last two years. In addition, we have had numerous phone calls, teleconference calls and e-mails as we always responded and continue to do so.
- Region of Peel councillors, elected official representing the interests of their constituents have been part of the CBMPT.
- Councillors Allan Thompson and Richard Paterak (from its inception)
- Councillor Johanna Downey (Since the recent Municipal election)
- Open Houses were provided to inform the public of plans and progress to address the traffic and safety issues.
- April 3, 2008 Open House at the Cheltenham Community Hall
- June 18, 2014 Open House at the Cheltenham Community Hall
- Targeted meetings with local landowner
- April 7 & 10, 2014 met with adjacent property owner
- After the appeal, since August 2014, five public meetings with the appellant and interested parties.
- August 19, 2014 Public meeting at the Cheltenham Community Hall
- September 15, 2014 Public Meeting in Caledon Town Hall Meeting room
- October 29, 2014 at the Cheltenham Badlands
- February 4, 2015 Public meeting at the Cheltenham Community Hall
- April 27, 2015 Public meeting in Caledon Town hall meeting room
- Several public meetings will be held as part of the consultation plan for the Master Plan for the site starting Summer 2015.
Emergency responders will not be able to get through the area in case of emergency.
The Town of Caledon was circulated on the Site Plan and did not indicate any concerns for emergency services.
Peel is “paving over the Badlands”
Peel is not paving over the remarkable Badland features. The parking lot location is separate from the features and was selected by regulatory agencies: Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, Credit Valley Conservation, and Niagara Escarpment Commission.