Town of Caledon Approves 2016 Budget
The Town of Caledon Council unanimously approved the 2016 Budget during the Town Council meeting on January 19, 2016, setting the stage for Town services and capital projects for this year and beyond.
“Council and staff consulted with the community and invited Caledon citizens to be involved in the 2016 budget process, and I want to thank all who contributed,” said Mayor Thompson. “Leading up to this budget, Council and staff continually engaged with citizens in creating a comprehensive Workplan to guide our activities and budgeting priorities for 2016 and beyond. The budget now confirms these priorities and sets us in motion.”
Highlights of the Town of Caledon’s 2016 Budget
- The blended residential tax increase (Town + Region + Education) is 1.97%. This assumes a 0% increase in the Education tax rate.
- This equates to a yearly tax increase of $16.99 per $100,000 property assessment, or an increase of $88.20 on the average home in Caledon with a value of $519,000.
- Broadband Levy: The special levy proposed for Broadband will generate $300,000 per year and $1,200,000 to $1,500,000 over 4 and 5 years, respectively. The plan is that this investment will translate into an approximate $22,500,000 fibre infrastructure buildout in Caledon once Federal, Provincial, and Private contributions are factored in. Subject to Federal and Provincial government funding announcements, it is anticipated that the network design and internet service provider procurement phases will be completed in 2016, with the buildout of the network starting in 2017.
- The 2016 Budget process included a number of public consultations and meetings. All documentation is available via www.caledon.ca/budget .
The Town’s 2016 Proposed Capital Budget includes $40.5 million in total requests. Some of the key capital projects for 2016 include:
- A Fire Training Facility
- Expansion of Public Wifi to the Mayfield Recreation Facility, Caledon Centre for Recreation and Wellness, and Albion Bolton Union Community Centre
- George Bolton Parkway Extension and Industrial Road Rehabilitation
- Kennedy Road & Heart Lake Road Rehabilitation
- Continuation of the Town’s Enhanced Road program and the Town’s Bridge program
- Animal Shelter upgrades
- Caledon Trailway resurfacing
- Renovations and upgrades to Caledon Village Place